2016/03/17

One Silent Night (Dark Hunter #15)

One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter #15)One Silent Night Summary:
While the world carries on unawares, Stryker, who leads an army of demons and vampires, is plotting an all out onslaught against his enemies—which, unfortunately for us, includes the entire human race. To avenge his sister, Stryker prepares to annihilate the Dark-Hunters. But things go awry when his oldest enemy returns. Enter his ex-wife. Zephyra. Just when he thought nothing could stop him, he's now embroiled in a centuries old war with a shrew who gives new meaning to pain.

One Silent Night Review:
This book was amazing, just based on the fact that I could like person who I thought was so evil before. While I read this book, I liked it well enough. Compared to the high of Acheron, this book was not that good, but it was great for world building and introducing new characters. The biggest problem I had were the two protagonists. Stryker had killed Urian in a previous novel, and the biggest problem fans faced was why he killed his last son. I could get past his hatred of Ash and the betrayal he felt from Apollymi, but I couldn't understand how he could have killed his son. Zephyra was another problem. While I can understand someone being in love for 11,000 years, it was hard to understand that a person hated someone for 11,000. She focused her whole immortal life on getting revenge on Stryker. That seems almost impossible to me because she has wasted her life trying to kill this man instead of healing.

Edit: Zephyra also has kept and tortured a man for a mistake he made thousands of years ago. I can't forgive this, but she is redeeming herself through the series. SO...she's not the best heroine in this series.

Once I got past this, the book was not too bad.

The secondary characters were much stronger and well built. Urian is a very sarcastic and hardened character, that I hope we'll get to see a lot more as the series goes on. He still has issues about his wife, which is very easy to understand, but we also get to see him taking strength from other relationships. For example, with Ash or Davyn. Medea was another character that we were introduced to. She is the step-daughter of Stryker and the step-brother of Urian. She is a character that I could like. Betrayed by the people that she was protecting she has a reason to be as hardened as she is. But she managed to keep her head high, and hadn't fallen into a pit like her mother. And she has a large secret that I hope we will soon discover and she will continue to play large part in the upcoming books. We got repeat characters such as Ash, Davyn, Apollo, Artemis, and many, many others. The character seems to constantly be increasing which makes it a lot more interesting but a lot more harder to keep updated. On it can get very confusing as some readers are finding. A good website to keep up on this is the Sherrilyn Kenyon website or Dark-Hunter Groups on Goodreads.

The story started off kind of stupid. Stryker went to War to basically commit suicide because he was so angry at Ash, Apollymi, Apollo (Lots of A's there) and everyone in between. Luckily, Stryker realized his mistake and then the story really started for me. The plot was there, the action was spot on and electrifying. And the romance was there, no matter how weird it was. In addition, the sarcasm was on it's own level. Ms. Kenyon got this book right by putting in the right combination of everything. I'm leaving you with this quote that just shows how good this book was.

“Enough, children. In case you haven’t noticed, we have a major situation playing out. We have to find and stop War, corral the gallu, protect Apostolos, and get Savitar out of here." (Apollymi)
"Why the later?" (Jared)
"Because I hate his guts." (Apollymi)
"I hate you, too, precious." (Savitar)


and

“Gods, how I’ve missed you". (Stryker)
"I hate you with every beat of my heart." (Zephyra)


Overall it was a 4.5 star! Great world building and a necessary read for the books to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment